Wednesday 10 June 2009, 10:00 - 15:30
Thistle Hotel, St. Chad's, Queensway, Birmingham B4 6HY
About the event
This regional event celebrates the outcomes of the Our Languages project, a 2 year DCSF-funded project led by CILT, the National Centre for Languages, working in partnership with the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education (NRC), part of ContinYou, the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust (SSAT) and the School Development Support Agency (SDSA).
The core aim of Our Languages is to promote collaboration between complementary / supplementary schools and mainstream schools. Each event features a speaker with a national profile, participation from project schools, an update on the latest government thinking on the role of community languages in the curriculum, advice on accreditation using the Asset languages scheme, and guidance on obtaining QTS.
All delegates will have the opportunity to meet fellow professionals and policymakers.
Who should attend?
• Teachers of community languages in primary and secondary schools and FE colleges
• Teachers of community languages in supplementary /complementary schools
• Managers in both mainstream and complementary schools
• Local authority Languages and Ethnic Minority Achievement teams
• Initial teacher trainers
• Researchers and policymakers with an interest in the community languages education field
• Outcomes of the our Languages project, including the website
• Partnerships between mainstream and complementary schools
• Community cohesion
• New National curriculum
• Advice on obtaining Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
• Accrediting language skills using the Asset languages scheme
• Creating a legacy & looking to the future
10.00 - 10.30 Sign In and refreshments
10.30 - 11.15 Our Languages project overview (Sarah Cartwright, Our Languages Consortium Programme Director, CILT)
11.15 – 11.45 Partnership case study
11.45 – 12.00 Refreshments
12.00 – 12.50 Practical activities to support literacy in non-Roman script languages with young learners (Claire Dugard, Language Teaching Adviser, CILT and Harjinder Bya, Panjabi Teacher, Parkgate Primary School)
12.50 - 13.45 Lunch
13.45 - 14.45 Asset Languages
14.45 - 15.15 QTS quiz and role play
15.15 – 15.30 Questions and sum up
This event is offered free of charge, but a deposit is required in the form of a cheque for £20 made out to CILT, which will be returned to delegates on the day.
Please visit the CILT website to register online.